Reports from Iran media say Dirtiest Man On Earth Died At 94 After Showering For the First Time In Decades
Amou Haji an Iranian, nicknamed “the world's dirtiest man” for living in squalor and not showering for decades has died at 94, state media reported on Tuesday.
Amou Haji, who had not washed for more than half a century, died on Sunday in the village of Dejgah in the southern province of Fars, IRNA news agency reported.
A local official said that, for decades, he had abstained from consuming fresh food and showering due to his apprehensions of falling ill.
But “a couple of months back, for the first time ever, villagers carried him to a bathroom where he can have his bath,” as reported by state media.
“Not long after, he took ill and eventually, on Sunday… he passed away,” the local media said.
Amou Hajji, eccentric though he was with no known family members, was viewed with some affection by local villagers who helped him. Hajji reportedly slept in a hole in the ground until the villagers took pity on him and built him a cinderblock shack.
People have become increasingly curious about him in recent years, posting videos of his strange behaviour online. This behaviour includes smoking up to five cigarettes at once or smoking dung from a metal plumbing joint.
There are photographs of him sitting in the dirt, his skin and clothes blackened with slime. Rumor claimed that he ate roadkill. He desired rotten porcupine meat and normally drank five litres of water per day, which he collected from puddles in a rusty pail. Despite this eccentric lifestyle, his health remained strong until recently. Earlier this year, a group of doctors from Tehran checked on him and found him to be in good health.